Tourism board to showcase its growing reputation as one of Europe’s finest golf destinations at IGTM 2016 in Mallorca
Costa Brava’s emergence as one of Europe’s finest golf destinations has happened because golf clubs, resorts, hotels and services are all working seamlessly together, according to the region’s tourism head, Ramon Ramos.
The Director of Costa Brava Girona Tourist Board has witnessed golf tourism numbers rise by 100,000 since 2003 – an increase of nearly 70%, but according to Ramos this stellar rise in visitor numbers has not happened by accident.
Members of the Golf Costa Brava Pirineu de Girona’s Golf Marketing Club
“While we have individual stars like PGA Catalunya Resort, Empordà Golf Resort and Golf de Pals in the region, we all understand and appreciate that our proposition is so much stronger as one, unified golf destination,” said Ramos.
“By bringing resorts, hotels, restaurants and even taxi and transfer companies together, we have been able to deliver not just a better product but also a stronger brand, helping the Costa Brava thrive in what remains a very competitive market place,” he added.
Flourishing in its 50th year of golf tourism, Costa Brava Tourism Board has been at the heart of the Golf Costa Brava Pirineu de Girona’s Golf Marketing Club, a group of eight of the region’s golf venues, as well as hotels.
The Marketing Club has been focused on delivering better service and value to the golfing tourist for a number of years, and this winning approach has also attracted industry buyers and tour operators to the region.
Some core elements of the Club’s strategy have included a series of annual media visits to the area, enhanced and sustained social media activity, targeted marketing at key golf and travel trade events, as well as tactical Costa Brava roadshows.
Costa Brava was also at the heart of Spain’s 2022 Ryder Cup bid and has hosted golf’s leading tour operators for the IAGTO Golf Trophy earlier this year, an event that commemorated the award-winning golf destination’s ‘Year of Golf and Gastronomy’, and generated almost €200,000 in additional revenue for local businesses.
Golf Costa Brava will present its unrivalled blend of golf, culture, cuisine and natural beauty to the golf travel trade at Stand D36 at the International Golf Travel Market (IGTM), hosted at Son Termes, Mallorca, between November 14-17, 2016.
Exhibiting within the Costa Brava stand will be eight world-class golf facilities, including:
- PGA Catalunya Resort – home to Spain’s No.1 golf course* and Europe’s Best Golf Resort 2015**
- Golf de Pals – Costa Brava’s oldest golf course, which celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2016
- Club de Golf Costa Brava – one of the region’s oldest courses and a good test for all standards of player
- Torremirona Golf Club – which enjoys wonderful views of the Pyrenees
- Club de Golf Peralada – the region’s northern-most course designed to environmentally-friendly specifications
- Par 3 Gualta – ideal for those looking to perfect their short game or new to the game
- Club Golf d’Aro – Mas Nou – 300m above sea level and offering stunning vistas of the coast
- Empordà Golf Resort – featuring two distinct 18 hole courses designed by Robert von Hagge
More information about the Costa Brava can be found on www.costabrava.org