CMAA’s Academic Advisor Joe Perdue, CCM, CHE, the club industry’s leading hospitality educator, died in Atlanta, GA, January 19, 2015, after a long illness. He was 64.
We wanted to devise a permanent memorial to Joe and have decided to do this by offering an annual award, the Joe Perdue Bursary, which will fund a Manager’s attendance at one of our MDP courses each year.
To do this we need to raise the funds each successive year. And this is where YOU can help and show your support and understanding of the role Joe played here in Europe, gifting us the MDP pathway and European CCM examination.
All donations will be held in a special restricted fund, by ECEF, and the award made each year by a panel of 3 judges. The winning applicant must provide a write up on their experiences, for inclusion in a future cmae newsletter - keeping the name of Joe alive.
For more information on the Joe Perdue bursary or to donate, contact Nigel Cartwright, Chief Executive Officer, of the European Club Education Foundation on firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 Joe Perdue Bursary Applications
The 2019 Joe Perdue Bursary is open to applicants today!
This year the Joe Perdue Bursary will provide 3 awards to 3 worthy candidates.
The 1st Bursary will cover the cost (up to £1,800) of attendance at the next CMAA World Conference, to be held from 8-12 February 2020 in Dallas, Texas, USA.
This award will cover all travel and accommodation, plus subsistence expenses. It is open to members already on CMAE’s Management Development Programme (MDP), as World Conference is one of the key criteria necessary to take the globally recognized Certified Club Manager (CCM) exam.
In addition, two Bursaries will be awarded to cover the costs (up to £1600 each) of attending a CMAE MDP course in the 2019/20 Academic Year. These awards are open to all members of CMAE, its Affiliated Organisations and Alliance Partners, who want to experience the renowned MDP pathway for themselves and gain invaluable skills, knowledge and networking to accelerate their professional development.
If you believe you could be a worthy recipient of the Bursaries available this year, then please apply, using the application form below.
The closing date for applications for the 2019/20 academic year is 16th August 2019.
All applications will be reviewed by the Board of the European Club Education Foundation (ECEF), and the winner will be announced by 10th September this year.
Last years winners were:- Les Durno (World Conference), Luis Manuel Fernandez-Arenas Hervas (MDP 2) and Joyce Burnett (MDP 3).
CMAA’s World Conference is a renowned annual 4-day residential conference with over 150 educational sessions, covering all 10 competencies for a Club Manager, offered together with global networking opportunities. Its’ the best Club management conference in the world.
CMAE’s MDP Courses consist of MDP Parts 1 and 2, MDP Golf, MDP Food & Beverage and MDP Strategy and Leadership. It’s the leading club management educational programme.
Any person in Club management interested in applying for either of these bursaries, who want more information, should contact CMAE Director of Education Torbjorn Johansson or Debbie Goddard, Association Manager on email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
* Joe Perdue, R.I.P.
Since 1986, Joe Perdue had served as Academic Advisor for CMAA. He was responsible for the initial development of CMAA’s Business Management Institute (BMI) Education Pathway in the US, and subsequently China, South Africa, Europe and Canada. Joe also developed the CCM, a qualification globally recognized as the benchmark of excellence in Club Management.
Here in Europe, Joe was a founder member of the CMAE Education Policy Board, where, thanks to his vision and generosity and that of CMAA, he enabled the development of our own CCM qualification, together with the CMAE MDP Pathway.
It is true to say: “No Joe Perdue, no MDP” and therefore CMAE decided to commemorate Joe’s wonderful commitment to education and his invaluable legacy in Europe, the Management Development Programme, by an annual Bursary programme, administered through ECEF.
The application process for the Joe Perdue Bursary is subject to the guidelines below.
1. Nominees must be a member of CMAE or one of CMAE’s regions or Affiliate Organisations
2. The completed application form must be sent to CMAE Association Manager, Debbie Goddard, for verification of the nominee(s) membership credentials. All nominees will be notified of receipt of their application by CMAE.
3. Once verified, the original application forms will be forwarded to Nigel Cartwright, CEO of the European Club Education Foundation (ECEF) who will arrange for the Award Panel* to meet, consider all verified applications and decide upon the 3 most worthy recipients.
4. The closing date for 2019/20 term applications is 1st August 2019.
5. Incomplete application forms will not be accepted.
6. The review panel will announce its decision by 31st August and its decision shall be final.
7. All applicants will be informed of the decision of the review panel.
8. The successful nominees will be required to attend either CMAA’s 2020 World Conference or the MDP course chosen (2019/20 Academic Year) and passing the course test. They will each be asked to write a 500-word report on their experience within 30 days of attending World Conference or completing the MDP course.
*Nigel Cartwright, CEO, will chair the award panel, plus the other ECEF directors